Saturday, July 31, 2010

Corn on a cob

Finally the season for corn on the cob arrived!  During the winter time, we had cravings for corn, and we tried frozen and canned, but they were all pretty bad. We thought we would never get fresh corn here. But, the other day, as I was walking through the vegetable market, I found it. Fresh corn on the cob. And, it tasted just perfect! 

Along with the corn, I decided to take a stab at making a Thai beef salad with the only kind of beef we can get here, which is a kind of beef chunks you typically use for stews. They are tough and not too suitable for grilling.

So, I got a chunk of beef (front meat; it seems we can only get either front or back meat whichever the parts of beef they may be). I sliced it into pieces. I pounded them till they were thin enough (well, probably I should have tried a bit harder to make them thinner).  Then I marinated them in a mixture of oil, lime juice, herbs, etc for 2 hrs. Next I grilled them slightly (well, I did overcook them a bit).  Toss some lettuce on the plate along with other veggies. Top it with the beef you grilled, and there you go!

The salad came out OKAY.  I think I can create more variations using the tough beef by applying similar ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment