Thursday, May 19, 2011

The last few days in Brno

The last few days in Brno were rather crazy. We got some vaccinations before heading to our next destination of mystery land, coordinated with the airline company so that gG could fly with us as a "special carrier", made several hotel reservations (in Brno and Frankfurt), divided our stuff into five piles: 1) stuff to sea ship, 2) stuff to air ship, 3) stuff to take, 4) stuff to leave, and 5) stuff to throw away, etc, and finally completed the move. Especially because there were items that came with the flat, which we didn't want the movers to accidentally pack and ship, we had to make some effort to separate them.

Anyway, everything including the move went very smoothly (thanks again to our friends who helped us through the move!). On May 4, the flat was empty except for the furniture that belonged to the flat. We spent our last night in a hotel that my hubby used to stay when he was still a consultant as to celebrate the end of our journey in the Czech Republic (boy.... the hotel was rather depressing, though. Not sure how my hubby could tolerate staying there for several months...).

We also celebrated our last meal in Brno at our favorite Japanese restaurant Koishi. Brno is not the best place to get any fresh fish, but Sushi Chef Ebina-san always magically creates wonderfully delicious sushi. I always wonder how he managed to get fresh "neta (stuff on the rice, mainly fish)".  Truely a "pro." And, yes, we were very lucky to have him in Brno!

It was already past 9pm when we got to the restaurant that day as we had to clean up the flat, but he kindly provided us a "omakase" sushi course including a creative fried sushi!  It was truely comforting after the busy couple of days.

People who work at the restaurant also came by and kindly said "good-bye" to us. I will always remember "Koishi" as one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

Next morning, we got up early, left gG in the hotel room, and went back to the flat to do some more cleaning before the owner showed up for the handover. We were done with the handover by 11am. Got back to the hotel to pick up gG and our 3 big suitcases and a bag for the litter box and were off to Prague by noon.

On the way to Prague, we stopped at a small town called Velké Meziříčí.  There I saw an old lady taking a stroll with two boys and a baby in a babycart. Two boys were having fun playing around the monument while the old lady was sitting on the bench watching a baby in a babycart. The weather was warm and sunny, and everything looked so peaceful. And, I realized how much I loved the simple life that most Czech people value. It is not the richest country in the world, but people certainly know how to enjoy life with their family and friends.

In my next post, I am going to write a bit more about our trip to the embassy in Prague and to our destination through Frankfurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment