Thursday, March 11, 2010
Stuff arrived! - March 3-5, 2010
So, on March 3rd, the movers came and unpacked everything and left the dishes and glasses all over the place in the kitchen and living room area. They put most of the clothes that fit into the closets - well, randomly of course as they had no way of gussing my thinking of how I wanted to organize our closets. I don't have an obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, but I do like to organize things rather than letting things scattered around the house.
Anyway, after the movers finally left, I sat in the middle of piles with gG contemplating where to start.
I decided to tackle our clothes first. Unlike our house in LA, we don't have walk-ins in this apartment. Consequently, I already knew we will be short in hanging space as there are more shelves than hanging areas, so I folded most of my pants and T-shirts and placed them on the shelves and decided to use the hanger for dresses and linen shirts only. Also a piece of IKEA drawers, which we never really utilized too much before, helped quite a bit. The challenge was on my hubby's side, as his clothes are much bigger than mine by nature and take more space. I decided to hang suits, jackets, pants, and some shirts and decided to fold some shirts, T-shirts, pants, vest, and sweaters. It seemed like the folding task took me forever, but I managed to get eveything done in 2 hrs. Then I organized the office area. We had to wait to clean the kitchen area until we got the furniture delivered, which was scheduled for March 5th.
On March 5th, the long awaited furniture arrived! We missed it the first time they delivered. This apartment is highly secured and very overpriced for Czech standard, but it doesn't even have a receptionist downstairs. It has a button right next to the door which should call our apartment so that I can ring people in, but it never worked. So, ASKO guys called my hubby, but the phone connection was very bad and they couldn't communicate (well, communication would be difficult to begin with because of the languae barrier, but...anyway).
This piece of furniture was a challenge. It took me almost 4 hours to build it. And, I made a slight mistake, too (not sure if you can tell by the picture, but it is rather obvious) :-) But we got the furniture we can now put our dishes and glasses in. By 18:00, everything was in place!